Monday, September 24, 2012

Shhh ... it's not a secret, it's a ______




Throughout the years, one of the best, and yet also most problematic parts of L.O.G. is the element of surprise.

We love to hear the participants draw in their collective breath as they open their eyes to the joy of agape.  We work hard on palanca and we can't wait to "clap, elbow, elbow, gentle tap" for the first time.

But this wonderful aspect of a L.O.G. weekend has filled some participants with great anxiety and made some parents wonder what kind of a group we really are.

Many of you have heard me say that I refused to attend my first Cursillo weekend until the person who invited me could explain to me why she "couldn't tell me anything except that I would have  great time".  Afterwards, I understood better what she was trying to do, but I think it wouldn't have made much of a difference if I had known "everything" or not.

My children have grown up hearing me talk about L.O.G. and explain many things as I call parents of participants from my desk at home.  Tyler attended L.O.G. #34 but has told me that even though he already knew about many of the surprises, it was meaningful to him because it was "his" weekend.  He had some idea of what was coming, but it wasn't real until he experienced it himself.  Alyssa will be a participant at L.O.G. #64.  I hope and pray the same for her.

Every time we begin a team process, I tell team members that they should be sure to tell their potential participants a few important things:

1 - that L.O.G. is an experience of God's love in Christian community
2 - that L.O.G. is open to anyone who wants to explore their relationship to God
3 - that we sing, laugh, share, listen and love one another and the fun is in the relationships

I also tell team members that they can talk as much they want to about the weekend - often the more the better - and that there are only a few things better left untold - the surprises.  But I also say that if it takes telling their potential participants about the surprises so they are comfortable attending L.O.G. then by all means tell them.  Better to have them come and participate in L.O.G. than stay home and miss it all just so we don't have to give away a surprise!

What I'm not sure we are very good at explaining to participants or team is that the surprises are really just a way of incarnating - putting flesh on - grace.  The weekend is designed to be an experience of God's love.  God's love is given to us without regard to our having earned or deserved it, because, in fact, we can't and don't. It's only by God's grace that we can be in relationship with our God who loves us so much.

In order to give our participants an experience of God's abundant and gracious love, we design parts of the weekend to be surprises - unmerited and unexpected.  Every time we surprise the participants, we are trying to make real and tangible for them how much God loves them. 

One of my favorite authors, Frederick Buechner, has written:

 "Grace is something you can never get but only be given. There's no way to earn it or bring it about any more than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn good looks or bring about your own birth. A good sleep is grace and so are good dreams. Most tears are grace. The smell of rain is grace. Somebody loving you is grace. Loving somebody is grace. Have you ever tried to love somebody?

A crucial eccentricity of the Christian faith is the assertion that people are saved by grace. There's nothing you have to do. There's nothing you have to do. There's nothing you have to do.

The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been, but you are because the party wouldn't be complete without you. Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things happen. Don't be afraid. I am with you. Nothing can ever separate us. It's for you I created the universe. I love you.

There's only one catch. Like any other gift, the gift of grace can be yours only if you'll reach out and take it.”  (Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC (c) 1973 Harper Rowe)


May it be our prayer that L.O.G. will help all of us, participants and team, to reach out and accept this gift from God.

 


 

  
ps - thanks to Marissa for the photo of Cody at the last L.O.G. #64 team meeting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to tell us who you are by selecting one of the options from the drop down box below the comment box.