Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Where Are You Hiding?



When they heard the sound of God strolling in the garden in the evening breeze, the Man and his Wife hid in the trees of the garden, hid from God. God called to the Man: “Where are
you?”  He said, “I heard you in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked. And I hid.”  Genesis 3: 8-10 (MSG)

First of all, don’t you love the imagery of God “strolling … in the evening breeze”?  During the cooler season of Fall, I like to take walks around my neighborhood.  Sometimes I just walk and try to appreciate the smell of cut grass or burning leaves or how the lighted windows cast a warm glow into the darkening night.  Sometimes I think and reflect and sometimes I talk to God – out loud – almost as if he was strolling right along beside me.  Try it sometime before the snow flies …

“Where are you?” God is still asking us. 

Some of us hide intentionally.  We hide behind masks and excuses.  We don’t want to feel exposed.  We try not to let anyone, much less God, know who we really are. 

One of the things I value about L.O.G. weekends is the way we offer welcome and acceptance so we can slowly but surely allow ourselves to come out and be known to each other.  This certainly is reflective of the Love Of God.

But then, the other way we often hide from God isn’t an active, intentional thing as much as a passive, sorta-unintentional thing – a prodigal thing – – we just forget God is right there strolling in the evening breeze with us.

When life gets overwhelming, or becomes too much fun, remember that you are never alone.  There’s someone who loves you within arm’s reach.



Ps – thanks to Maia for this photo of Kayla at the last L.O.G. #62 team meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to tell us who you are by selecting one of the options from the drop down box below the comment box.