Sunday, July 29, 2012

Packing Up: Nine Days – Ninety Names

 Packing Up: Nine Days – Ninety Names

With only nine days before we head to New Jersey, I’ve got packing lists and piles of stuff accumulating in a number of locations: my home, Evangel Heights UMC, the storage facility.  I sure hope it all fits on the bus!

I always say that I can’t travel (to LOG events) lightly.  I tend to want to take everything that we might possibly need – – thank God for Bryce’s trailer!

And even so, there always seems to be the inevitable trip to pick up something I forgot.  Not this time – it’ll be a 1380 mile round-trip!

This morning, I was going through all our placemats to be sure I have one for each of our Team members.  In doing so, I began to set aside the placemats of those LOGgers that have graduated out this past June.

There are 90 of them!

As I sorted through the pile, I was moved by the names:  some as familiar as family (one is family) and some that I remember, although barely, because I haven’t seen them since their participant weekend.  They go back as far as L.O.G. #34 (three-fo’).

I remembered shining faces, wonderful harmonies, deep conversations and great hugs.  I remembered moments of prayer after the death of a loved one; because of difficult situations or relationships and in thankful realization of the deep joy and love we share.

Ninety names!  Faithful friends. Servant leaders.  Young people growing in the love of God and their love for God.

Soon - their placemats will hang with those of the over 1000 others who have shared this experience called L.O.G.

I entrust them to God’s care.

I miss them already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to tell us who you are by selecting one of the options from the drop down box below the comment box.